Friday, March 27, 2015

The Journey

I joined a gym for the first time in 2007 because my mother made me do it. 

She realized I had a severe case of the New Mom Blues and I needed to snap out of it. I started working at that same gym right after I had my second child...primarily because as a work at home/stay at home mom, I was lonely and needed other grownups. 

I didn't learn to love the gym until my third child was 6 months old. I was deep in the overwhelming throes of postpartum depression and PTSD...which made for an amazing biochemical cocktail and resulted in me never wanting to leave the house. I was eating a box of devil dogs, in bed, every night while I nursed my daughter and watched reruns of Bones on TNT. I was surviving not because I wanted to but because I had three small children, all under 5, who needed me desperately. And that is when the gym saved my life. 

I had not tried to do any kind of a work out in more than a year when I met Dave Fiore. He dared me to try something new (as though he knew my stubborn personality couldn't walk away from a dare). I told him I couldn't. I doubted my physical capabilities. I doubted my willpower. I doubted my strength. He coerced me into trying anyway. I started on a mild anti-depressant. I started walking on the treadmill. I started saying "I'll try" instead of "I can't." One step at a time...I did it. 

I stopped eating devil dogs and ring dings. I stopped crying and I gave up feeling sorry for myself. I lost 10 pounds. Then 20. Then 30. I grew stronger. I could carry two kids up the steps. I could chase them. I hit 35. Then 40. I started lifting. I stopped taking the anti-depressant and lifted instead. Daily. It worked. It cleared my fog. The gym became my therapist and Dave became my best friend. I would be lost without either. 

In the past 10 days, I did things that I never imagined. I started carb cycling and went without carbs for two straight days. (And limited today). I benched 135. I gave advice to some meatheads at the gym and was taken seriously! (‪#‎equalrightseverywhere‬)

I am stronger now than ever before. Mentally, physically and emotionally. My body is tired and my muscles are sore but I can't wait to do it all again tomorrow. I read this article tonight (below) and it made think about my journey. I am learning to embrace my own story - and I am going to try and capture some of the stories from other influential people in my world too...because we can all learn from each other. 

http://aaronbleyaert.tumblr.com/post/109959086957

No comments:

Post a Comment