Friday, March 6, 2015

Weekend Warriors

Back when I was 22, Weekend Warrior took on a slightly different meaning than it does now. Then, I was a WW of the fun variety. From the time I left work on Friday until I went to bed on Sunday, I had one focus: have as much fun as possible.That meant happy hours and pub crawls. Dinner with friends, breakfast at diners at lunch time. Some Sundays, it meant not getting out of bed at all.

Now, I am a different kind of warrior. I fight the battle of the bulge from Friday night until Monday morning and I shoot myself in the foot many weekends. I am still a social creature that lives for the thrill of the weekend. I am a Karaoke Queen who craves the Friday night microphone at the local hole-in-the-wall pub, where the drinks and bar grub are cheap. I love having people over to watch football and we all love pizza and wings. Do you see my trend?

FUN = Social Activity(food+drink+friends)

FITNESS = Dedication(eating clean+working out+drinking water+sleeping well)

See my problem?

I still hit the gym on weekends. (I really love the gym...) But my weekend workouts tend to be more social in nature too. I see a bunch of people I don't see during the week...we chat in between sets... and before I know it, I have killed two hours without touching a piece of cardio equipment.

How do you balance SOCIAL with SMART?

I like Vodka. Like, really LIKE Vodka. I like my whipped vodka mixed in my diet Coke by Anastasia on Friday nights at Fullerton Pub. I enjoy coming up with new alcohol concoctions to try at parties. And I LOVE parties. Really LOVE parties.

So what is this weekend warrior to do? This weekend, I think I am going to try going out and being social WITHOUT a drink in my hand. Gotta start somewhere!

Raise your glass!




No comments:

Post a Comment